BY TIRANO IN VALTELLINA TO SANKT MORITZ IN ENGADINA
The Bernina red train Express connects Tirano to Sankt Moritz with a distance of 60 km, a fantastic journey through the mountains. From Bormio you reach Tirano by car or by bus then you take the red train. The red train also called “Bernina Express” offers an exciting trip through the Alps. The panorama cars allow you to see the landscape from the green expanses of grass to permanent snow white from 429 m of Tirano reaches 2.253 m the highest point at the Bernina Pass and then down again to Sankt Moritz through small mountain villages in the woods and dotted with ponds.
Since 2008 the Bernina red train is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage
The main stages of the Bernina Line
• The start is in Tirano, where you can visit the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Tirano, then the train goes into the Poschiavo Valley in Swiss territory.
• The train then faces the viaduct of Brusio in helical shape in order to overcome the height difference
• You reach the lake of Poschiavo to 1.000 m. level where we begin to see the Bernina Pass, then Miralago and then Le Prese
• After extensive plain the train arrives in Poschiavo
• From here the train climbs the mountain overlooking the Valposchiavo and Valtellina, among spruce forests
• At 1700 m the Bernina red train get to Cavaglia where you can visit the park of marmitte dei Giganti
• You reach the Alp Grum 2.091 m. , from where you can admire the glacier of Palu, the Poschiavo valley and the mountains of the Valtellina
• The red train comes to the Bernina Pass and passes near the lake White, after the descent begins
• After the start of cable cars Diavolezza and Lagalb, the red train arrives in the vicinity of the Bernina, where there are icy perennial ending with ice Morteratsch
• After passing through forests of pine, the red train arrives in Pontresina in the Val Roseg
• The trip ends in Sankt Moritz in 1775 m.